Ten principles for Christian giving.
1. The Lord Jesus expects and requires us to give. (Matthew 6:2)
2. The Lord Jesus wants us to give for the right reasons. (Matthew 6:1)
3. The Lord Jesus wants us to practice benevolent or charitable giving. (Matthew 6:2-3)
4. The Lord Jesus reminds us that our giving is ultimately to the all-seeing heavenly Father. (Matthew 6:3-4)
5. The Bible teaches that Christian giving is an act of worship. (1 Corinthians 16:2)
6. The Bible teaches that Christian giving should be done in light of the incarnation. (2 Corinthians 8:9)
7. The Bible teaches that Christian giving should be done in accordance with our means. (2 Corinthians 8:12)
8. The Bible teaches that the liberality of God’s blessings to us is connected to the liberality of our Christian giving. (2 Corinthians 9:6)
9. The Bible teaches that Christian giving must be willing giving, free giving. (2 Corinthians 9:7)
10. The Bible teaches that Christian giving ought to be cheerful giving.
As Paul says “God loves a cheerful giver.” This is a truly amazing assertion. Paul assures us here that the Lord takes a special delight in those who are joyful, energetic, merry givers. Is there joy in your heart as you give? Can you truly be characterized as a “cheerful giver”?